I finished a half ironman race on the weekend and it was an amazing experience! Time seems to stand still for a few hours. On the course, NOTHING occupies my mind, but the present moment. Breathing, movement, scenery. I feel totally ALIVE. For me, this is the attraction that makes the journey worthwhile.
I am extremely aware and grateful for every moment I am in motion. I decided on this race several months ago and made it happen, not by wishful thinking, but by having a vision.
To complete any fitness, health or business goal, you need to know what you want and figure out how to get there. How can you possibly get to a place when you don’t know where it is you want to go?
As a health and wellness coach, I hear from so many that they feel they aren’t living the life they want. Something is missing. They feel unfulfilled.
There are many adventures they want to do.
Races they wish they could run.
Trails they would like to explore.
They want to get off the couch and be more active, lower their cholesterol or find enough energy to get through the day.
People sort of know what they want, but they don’t know how to make it happen.
They don’t BELIEVE they can make it happen. So they do nothing. Maybe they wish, but they don’t act.
Where do you start?
How do you follow through consistently?
How do you make health a priority in your life?
The first and most important step in closing the gap between where you are today and where you want to be is to create a COMPELLING VISION
Your Vision is a clear definition that paints a clear picture of how you will look and feel when you are the person you dream of being. In health, fitness and wellness.
- Who would you like to be in 6 months, 1 year or 5 years from now?
- Your Vision statement is your target: the destination around which you will build your roadmap.
- And a well written vision will direct your behaviors on a day to day basis towards that vision.
My goal, as a health and fitness coach, is to help you dream big, expand your vision and get you started on your fitness, nutrition and wellness goals.
My wish for you is to experience how making self-care a priority will help you get the excitement you want in life.
This is the purpose of my blog: to help you figure out HOW to start, HOW to follow through and HOW to move beyond excuses.
I will do this by providing high quality educational and practical resources that will support you on a journey to a healthier version of yourself.
So let’s get started in creating your vision!
Write your vision in the present tense, as if it is already happening.
- Your vision can be a statement, or you can create a visual board – your choice.
- Ask yourself, “What is my vision for my health, fitness, wellness?”
- In your own words, what are your hopes and dreams?
- Who do you want to be? Write in the positive: what you want, as opposed to what you don’t want.
- What if a genie appears and grants you three wishes to realize all your health and fitness dreams? The sky’s the limit. What would your wishes be?
- Ask yourself “What results do I want to achieve?”
- Ask yourself “What health giving practices (nutrition, exercise, life habits) do I want to be doing consistently to realize that dream?”
Here are some examples of vision statements.
My fitness vision is that in 6 months from now, “I am exercising regularly, which is helping me to lose weight and look better, feel better and have more energy”.
My health vision is that in one year from now, “I am eating well and exercising consistently, helping me to lower my total cholesterol and lower my risk of heart disease”.
My wellness vision is that in one year from now, “I am feeling a greater sense of contentment and purpose in my life”.
Here is my personal vision:
In one year I am passionate and living with purpose in my work and continuing to grow and thrive from family and personal connections. I continue to exercise regularly and eat for health. I share my voice with confidence. I live with self-compassion and practice self-care. I sleep well and my mind is calm. I continue to be an ambassador for healthy aging.
Now I want to hear from you! Below, tell me what your vision in health is, and what life-giving behaviors you want to be doing consistently.
To your health and future self,