Do You Struggle to Find Time For Physical Activity?
A 14 year study showed that people who get 2.5 hours (150 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity a week (for adults ages 18 to 65) lowered their risk of death by 31%. Those who exercised, but less than the recommendation, lowered their risk of premature death by 20%. Those who did not exercise at all had the highest risk of premature death.
The Bottom Line – any amount of physical activity is better than none!
So don’t just sit there! Get more physical activity into your day! Make it fun and enjoyable. It doesn’t have be a chore. Dance with your kids, walk your pet, or listen to a podcast or music while you walk.
Your Action Plan
1. First, figure out how much movement you are getting daily. Use a Fitbit, a watch, a log book, or any tool that will give you this information. Monitor and log your movement for a week. You need to understand where you are now in order to know where you need to be.
2. Now that you know where you are, choose some kind of movement that you enjoy. If you’re the type of person who needs variety, be sure to have a few options to choose from. What activities are on your list?
3. Commit to getting 10% more movement every week. For example, if your tracking shows that you are getting a total of 50 minutes a week, then your goal for the following week would be 55 minutes.
3. Continue tracking and increasing your weekly movement by 10% for a total of 4 weeks.
4. The amount of time you spend exercising doesn’t have to be all in one session. You can do 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there until it adds up to your goal time.
5. Recognize and celebrate your accomplishments every week.
6. Share your goal with a friend or loved one to stay committed or even better, have them participate with you.
Do you work and already have a lot to juggle? It’s hard enough to figure out how to fit everything into your day, yet alone find time for physical activity.
Here’s a short video that Jeannine Brown Miller, JBM HR Consulting Inc. and I put together with some simple suggestions on how to fit in more exercise during your work day.
I would love to be your virtual partner.
Let me know that you’re committing to more physical activity in the next 30 days and I will be your best cheerleader! Together we CAN do this!